Plank Challenge By Mira Hoss
Give this low plank finisher by Health expert Mira Hoss a try at the end of your abs workout to put your core on fire!
Start by performing each exercise back to back for 15 seconds without resting (total of 1min), challenge yourself the next time you try it again by going up to 30 seconds for each exercise reaching a 2 min plank.
Exercise 1 - Plank Crunches
- Get into the modified plank position by placing your forearms in contact with the floor. Your hips should be off the ground, your knees and toes in contact with the ground, and your elbows directly underneath your shoulders.
- Rotate your shoulders outward to engage your lats and pull your forearms toward your midsection to create tension.
- Straighten your legs to lift your knees off of the ground so you end up in a full plank position. Your legs should be hip-width apart.
- Squeeze your glutes and quads.
- Engage your core. Your ribs should be down, and your pelvis should be slightly tucked. Your chin should remain tucked throughout the movement as if you were holding an egg under your chin.
- While maintaining your alignment, push your hips toward the ceiling while focusing on squeezing your abs.
- Pause for 1–2 seconds at the top position.
- While engaging your abs, lower your hips back to the plank position with control.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Exercise 2 - Alternating Knee Drive Out
- Get into a top push-up position. Put your hands directly beneath your shoulders. Your body should form a straight line from your neck to your ankles.
- Bend your right leg at the knee and hip. Bring your right knee toward your right elbow as close as you can. Your knee should be under your chest.
- Drive back your right leg to the starting position. Repeat the exercise according to the training plan then switch legs.
Exercise 3 - Hip Dips
- Start in a low plank position with your body in a straight line, your elbows bent and under your shoulders, and your feet hip-width apart.
- Rotate your hips to the right and dip your body almost to the floor.
- Return to the starting position and repeat on the left side. Keep alternating sides until the set is complete.
Exercise 4 - Leg Raises to Side Taps
- Start in a plank position with hands shoulder-width apart. Your shoulders, hips, and ankles should be in a line.
- Keep abs engaged and raise your right leg off the floor until it’s at about hip height. Keep the right foot flexed.
- Pause and feel the burn. Then lower your right leg back to the floor.
- Repeat with your left leg.
- Lift your left foot and tap it to the side. Return your foot to starting position and repeat to the right side. That’s one rep.
Check the video above to work out with Mira! Wasn’t this fun?! You can check Mira’s Instagram @mirahoss for more! If you tried this workout or have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.